Saturday, July 7, 2007

Bazaars Of Hyderabad

If you strongly abide by the policy of ' Shop till You drop' and you happen to tour to Hyderabd, then my freinds you have truly hit the bull's eye. Talking on the Bazaars of Hyderabad is a bit nostalgic for me...reasons for this are many, it reminds me of my schooldays, my classmates, my English teacher and most of all my days of childishness.

What do you sell O ye merchants ?
Richly your wares are displayed.
Turbans of crimson and silver,
Tunics of purple brocade,
Mirror with panels of amber,
Daggers with handle of jade.

Theses lines from Sarojini Naidu's poem 'In the Bazaars of Hyderabd' since my school days used to linger a feeling in me. Though my sense of imagination wasn't developed to a degree where i could take the feel of what the poem was trying to convey but with the flow of time and after touring to this historical city of Hyderabad, i can now vouch that i know this city and its evergreen bazaars.

This historical city is a spot for the shopaholics who leave no stone unturned in stuffing their shopping bags with as much items of attraction as they can. The city offers everything from antiques to Handicrafts to Jewellery. The vivid variety of handicrafts are the major eye catchers of the city. The Kalamkari fabric is very popular and are the always in the priority list of the tourists. The bangles of Hyderabad are also very much in demand by the women from distant lands. The colourful glass and metal bangles gives a rainbow like appearance to the bazaars. Hyderabad also enjoys immense importance for its Bidriware, which is a type of encrusted metal work where one metal is inlaid on the other metal. And who hasn't heard of the internationally acclaimed pearl market? A shopper can quench one's hunger for shopping by buying all types of semi precious stone jewellery.

The must visit shopping places in Hyderabad are: Nampally, Sultan Bazaar, Abids and Charminar, Begum Bazaar, Osmanganj, Mozam Jahi Market and Lad Bazaar.

If, in Hyderabad come with a huge shopping bag and a big wallet. .....right?










4 comments:

Unknown said...

Deeepika great job! Keep it up dar'lin...the info provided in tis blog really makes me fly over to Hyderabad....being a shopping-freak i wud love to visit tis city of pearls! keep writin such gud stuff!!! cos trust me it really helps...thanks once again..

Unknown said...

Hyderabad, the city of Nizams is known for precious pearls all over the world. Luckily I got a chance to visit the charming city three years back. Oh! the bazaars of hyderabad are really impressive and lively. Me too bought jewelleries and bangles from the city's popular Laad Bazaar close to Charminar.

Unknown said...

The picture of Kalamkari fabric is nice. I want to know more about it as I am fond of collecting handicrafts. Pls give some more details.

Srikant said...

Charms of Hyderabad has always attracted me and my visit to this city is almost sure....n ur blog just gave me one more reason to speed up my planning